- Currently practicing as a full-time software engineer or software engineering manager.
- Residing in one of our active regions. Living within a one-hour drive of one of our active regions (New York City, Seattle, Atlanta and the San Francisco Bay Area).
- A one-year commitment to attend a monthly, two-hour Squad meeting. Squads are groups for 6–10 A* members at similar stages in their careers. Squads set out a schedule at the start of the year and members are only permitted to miss one (1) meeting every 6 months. These meetings are the bedrock of A* membership and attendance is strictly required and enforced.
- Attend January kickoff dinner and squad retreat. The program starts with 1 Friday evening kickoff event and 1 full-day weekend retreat with one’s squad. Both events are in January. Attendance at both is required.
- Setting and sharing goals with fellow members. When you set ambitious goals, you create the possibility to achieve great things. When you share those goals with your peers, you give them the chance to help and support you. In the A* Program, we expect all members to do both.
- Desire to help your fellow Black software engineers. The power of the support network of /dev/color comes from peers. You will be expected to actively help your peers in formal and informal settings.
- Desire to set and reach ambitious goals. A* members are doers. We will provide a framework for you to seek help and support from peers, but you must ultimately be driven to set your own goals and seek the help to accomplish them.
Empowering Black software engineers to help one another grow into industry leaders
Applying to the A* Program
Applications for our 2019 program will open for San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, and Seattle in August 2018.
If you believe you can add to this community and help others, please fill in your information below to get started on your application for 2019!
Refer a Friend
If you have a colleague or friend who would be interested in joining us, please fill in their information, and we'll contact them regarding the application process.