Thank you for your interest in applying to /dev/color's A* Program! We are currently accepting applications for the SF Bay Area and NYC chapters.
We are on a mission to create environments where Black software engineers can learn from one another and hold one another accountable for reaching ambitious career goals. We believe that role models, learning opportunities, and the right network are all key ingredients for success in software engineering. There are thousands of talented Black engineers that currently lack access to these resources. Our A* program aims to close these gaps by challenging engineers to learn from their peers and rise to the ambitious goals that they set, growing their impact in the workplace and in their communities.
Benefits of Membership
- Opportunities to learn from peers with a shared background.
- A framework of accountability will challenge you to set, and reach, ambitious career goals.
- Access to a network of extremely talented Black software engineers and an extended network of industry leaders.
Requirements for Membership
Confirmed upon acceptance into the program, and yearly thereafter.
- Currently practicing as a full-time software engineer or software engineering manager.
- Living within a one-hour drive of one of our active regions (San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland and New York City).
Expectations of Members
- A one-year commitment to attend a monthly, two-hour Squad meeting. Squads are groups for 6–10 A* members at similar stages in their careers. Squads set out a schedule at the start of the year and members are only permitted to miss one (1) meeting every 6 months. These meetings are the bedrock of A* membership and attendance is strictly required and enforced. The first squad meeting will be scheduled to take place in February 2017.
- Attend January kickoff dinner and squad retreat. The program starts with an evening kickoff event and weekend, full day retreat with one’s squad. Both events are in January 2017. Attendance at both is required. Please take note of the dates below for your respective location and mark it on your calendar!
- SF Bay Area - Kickoff Dinner (January 27th) & Full Day Member Retreat (January 28th)
- New York City - Kickoff Dinner (January 20th) & Full Day Member Retreat (January 21st)
- Setting and sharing goals with fellow members. When you set ambitious goals, you create the possibility to achieve great things. When you share those goals with your peers, you give them the chance to help and support you. In the A* program, we expect all members to do both.
- Desire to help your fellow Black software engineers. The power of the support network of /dev/color comes from peers. You will be expected to actively help your peers in formal and informal settings.
- Desire to set and reach ambitious goals. A* members are doers. We will provide a framework for you to seek help and support from peers, but you must ultimately be driven to set your own goals and seek the help to accomplish them.
/dev/color is investing considerable resources in creating an environment for members to learn and grow, and we expect that members will, in turn, make a commitment to /dev/color.
- An subscription fee of $200/year (billed as $50/quarter) is required for ongoing membership. This fee is a fraction of the resources the organization invests in the program, but it helps us be sustainable.
- For first-time members, the first fee is refundable if you find the program is not a good fit in your first 3 months.
Applications can be submitted between October 13, 2016 and November 16, 2016. Once received, your application will be reviewed by the /dev/color team. Members who are accepted into the A* Program will be notified by December 9th.
If you believe you can add to this community, help others, and are committed to putting in the time and effort to do so, please submit your completed application. Your responses will help us match you to a squad that's the best fit for you.